Welcome to the Numeracy Support Zone!
Numeracy skills are essential for success in many aspects of the curriculum. This section of the website has been designed to help you support your son/ daughter at home.
Use the links below to access the schemes of work for each KS3 year group. (Timescales shown on the schemes of work are approximate).
There are a range of ways that you can help your child achieve success in Maths:
- Be positive about Maths (for example, don’t say "I was never very good at Maths!")
- Help students see where Maths is used in ‘real life’: shopping, weighing, money, graphs, bar charts, percentages, area, mortgages, credit cards, sport, shapes, etc...
- Reinforce the basics at home – test their mental maths!
- Apps or computer games that have Maths content/spatial awareness content e.g. Professor Layton, Brain Training, Tetris...
- Find Maths everywhere & use numbers! e.g. Number plates on cars - can your child add all the numbers up mentally?
- TV programmes with Maths content e.g. Countdown, Dara O’Briain: School of Hard Sums, Stargazing Live etc
- If you’ve helped your child with their home learning, write a short note to the teacher so they know how much input you’ve had.
- Use mymaths and other websites to help your child.
- Use the links below to see what your child is studying.
We encourage you to take an active interest in what your child is studying, to read their book and to ask them to explain the work to you. If they can explain it, they’ve understood it!